A Devas Health & Development Foundation Initiatives
Help-24/7
24 hour Helpline
+ 91-253-2472499 / 599 / 699
Emergency : +91-9975997862 / 3 / 4
www.samtabloodbank.org
Twitter
Facebook
You-tube

What is blood?

 

Your body carries around 4-6 litres (8.5-12.5 pints) of blood. Blood is made up of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets in a liquid called plasma.

 

Plasma is about 90% water, but also contains proteins, nutrients, hormones and waste products. Blood is made up of about 60% plasma and 40% blood cells

 

Each type of blood cell has a specific role to play :
  • Red blood cells : transport oxygen around the body and remove carbon dioxide and other waste products; they give your blood its red colour
  • White blood : cells are part of the immune system (the body's natural defence mechanism) and help fight infection.
  • Platelets : help the blood to clot (thicken) to stop bleeding

Blood groups :

VIDEO

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

  • O+Because your blood group is O RhD positive, you are especially important. Around 37% of the population share your group, but what makes you even more important is that, if necessary, your blood can be given to anyone who is RhD positive (regardless of their blood group) - and that's a staggering 83% of people.
  • O- Because your blood group is O RhD negative, it is very special indeed. You can give blood three times a year, so please be sure to keep up your outstanding work and donate every four months if you possibly can
  • AB+Group B positive blood is extremely valuable - less than 8% of the population possess this particular group. Matching supply to demand is a constant challenge - we rarely have more than a few days supply of B positive in stock.
  • AB- Group AB negative blood is needed for the manufacture of plasma - a rich 'soup' of essential proteins - plasma is separated from red blood cells and frozen when fresh. Less than 1% of the population possess AB negative blood.
  • A+35% of the population have blood group A RhD positive. 7% of the population have blood group A RhD negative. That makes a combined total of 42% of the population having blood group A.
  • A-7% of the population have blood group A RhD negative. 35% of the population have blood group A RhD positive. That makes a combined total of 42% of the population having blood group A.
  • B+Group B positive blood is extremely valuable - less than 8% of the population possess this particular group. Matching supply to demand is a constant challenge - we rarely have more than a few days supply of B positive in stock.
  • B-And whether it's used for planned operations like a hip replacement, in an emergency, or for cancer treatment, you can be absolutely certain that your blood is helping to save lives.
    It is important that you should donate blood only after completion of three months from the date you have donated blood always make sure that you donate blood at a hygienic location and only to genuine blood banks or reputed medical centres equipped with the proper infrastructure for carrying out such procedures.

Tips on Blood Donation

Donet-blood
Facts About Blood. What is blood? Blood is the life-maintaining fluid that circulates through the body's: Heart; Arteries; Veins; Capillaries ...
Read more...

Blood facts

Blood-Facts
Enjoy these blood facts while learning some interesting facts and information ...
Found in humans and most animals, blood is an incredibly important bodily fluid
Read more...

Share Your Experience

Enjoy these blood facts while learning some interesting facts and information ...
Save-life
Read more...

Back to Top